The pandemic hit the hospitality industry very severely. Now that the trade and offices are slowly opening and embracing the new normal after lockdown, businesses in this field are taking necessary precautions to safeguard their guests without compromising the comfort and entertainment they promised to their guests.
Join us as we talk about the hospitality cleaning services things that commercial cleaners do to make this possible.
Hotel Housekeeping: Suggested Frequency
Cleaning frequency depends on several factors, such as:
- amount of soil
- amount of traffic
- number of employees
- types of surface
- hotel policies and cleaning standards
The hotel must prepare a manual that describes the standard procedures and frequencies of cleaning. The same information may be displayed in all housekeeping pantries.
Hospitality Cleaning Services frequencies are divided into three categories. These are:
- daily cleaning
- periodic cleaning
- special cleaning
This category consists of all the routine, housekeeping operations which are performed on a day to day basis. Regular hospitality cleaning services are tasks that are limited to guest rooms, all public areas, food and beverage outlets that need to be clean before the operation starts.
It also includes cleaning of guests rooms, bathrooms, toilet cleaning, cleaning of floors and floor covering in all public and back areas and so on.
In addition to routine or daily cleaning, the housekeeping attendant adds tasks that are time-consuming and not possible to clean daily. Such tasks also require the assistance of other attendants or housemen. Most of the periodic tasks such as cleaning outside windows are outsourced.
Hospitality cleaning tasks are further divided into weekly cleaning and spring cleaning.
Spring cleaning is a task that is usually carried out monthly, quarterly, twice a year, or once a year. Many areas can be left behind in daily and weekly routine cleaning.
These areas are generally covered in spring cleaning. It is usually done at the back or in all public areas. Some of the usual spring cleaning tasks perform in the hotel are:
- carpet shampooing
- wall and ceiling washing
- floor polishing
- chandelier cleaning
- curtain laundering
- thorough cleaning of windows and window frames
- machine scrubbing of all hard floors
- detailed cleaning of all pieces of furniture inside and out
The hospitality commercial cleaning supervisor supervises these tasks—it is his tasks to monitor and manage the areas that are cleaned during spring cleaning.
Special Hospitality Cleaning Services
This type of cleaning is occasional. It can be cleaning a room that has undergone a significant renovation or a preventive maintenance cleaning.
This type of cleaning prepares the room for the guests to rest in the evening. It is not a complete cleaning. Little touch-up is done to all areas that have been used and touched by the guests during the day. This is also the best time to replenish the supplies. Evening service is only needed for occupied rooms.
By its very word, this is the type of cleaning that comes after the first cleaning for that day. In all hospitality channels, guests rooms are cleaned once a day. This cleaning is required when the guests called in and request it. The first service usually is free, but the second service comes with a fee.
Hospitality Cleaning Techniques for 5 Star Hotels
There are different public areas in a hotel. They are:
- front desk
- guest corridor
- guest elevator
These areas are also called “Front of the House”.
Functional areas are:
- banquet halls
- waiting room
Leisure areas are:
- swimming pool
- health club
Hotel cleaning by commercial cleaners or their housekeeping department is responsible for the overall cleanliness and maintenance of these public areas.
It is impractical to take public places as “out of service” because you need to clean. Cleaning is typically carried out during off-peak, low-traffic hours.
Cleaning The Entrance Area
- Commercial cleaners need to vacuum the doormats and runners to remove dust and grit.
- Frequent mopping of the entrance floor is also suggested.
- Plants and live ornaments should be watered when required.
- Cleaning of glass doors has to be done regularly.
- Wooden doors should be damp-dusted daily.
- Polish brass knobs and handles weekly. Damp dusting is sufficient for lacquered brass knobs.
- Check the lights and lighting fixtures every day and dust if needed.
Cleaning the Lobby and the Front Desk Area
- Empty and damp dust ashtrays, sand urns, and waste paper basket. It is needed at least three times a day.
- Attend to the flower arrangements and indoor plants every day. Water them if required.
- Vacuum all carpeted areas to remove dirt and dust.
- You can dry mop, wet mop, or vacuum hard floors daily.
- Damp dust furniture everyday.
- Damp dust the telephones with a disinfecting solution.
- Commercial cleaners need to perform high-level dusting to clean ceilings and other hard-to-reach areas such as tops of fans and cornices. It should be done once a week. The dusting of the high ceiling can be done once a month.
- Bring the elaborate chandeliers down at least once every six months for proper cleaning.
- Vacuum all upholstered furniture once a week.
- Vacuum blinds and curtains once a week.
- Steam clean the carpets at least once a month or as often as needed if the foot traffic is heavy.
- Periodically scrub and polish wooden floors.
Cleaning of Elevators
- Damp dust the steel doors inside and out and then wipe clean with water.
- Damp dust the inside wall, door, and control panels.
- Vacuum the elevator’s carpeted floors. Mop if it has hard floors.
- Clean all airconditioning or ventilation ducts using a suction cleaner.
- Damp dust the ceiling and light fixtures.
Cleaning of Public Restrooms
- Regularly clean all sanitary fittings with a neutral detergent.
- Clean the vanity counter and mirrors.
- Use acidic cleaner in urinals and toilets. Apply the cleaning chemical to the toilet and let it sit for some time. Clean the insides of the toilet using the toilet brush. You are also expected to clean the outside, rim, and flush the toilet bowl.
- Replenish hand towels, hand soap, toilet paper, and other bathroom supplies every day.
- Mop the floor every day.
You need to know all these things if you want to close hotel contracts. We want to congratulate you if you are currently working on one. Guests and patrons will remember the cleanliness of a hotel.
They feel welcome and valued, which is why hotels invest in cleanliness and aesthetics. Visitors go to hotels to relax and enjoy themselves. The hotel gives a luxurious feeling. Let us not ruin by not providing the proper hospitality cleaning services.
I hope that you find this article helpful. Please drop me a comment below if you have questions, suggestions, or write anything you want that will help the cleaning community.
Our primary aim is to offer help and useful articles to aspiring commercial cleaners out there. See you next time. Make sure to read our Guide in business cleaning.